Thursday, January 30, 2014

Lessons from the road

Unsure of how to start planning your trip? Look to other sources for inspiration. Backpacking involves a great deal of planning and research. Of course there are those who wing it, but to save yourself time while traveling I highly suggest doing some preliminary research.  

The Savvy Backpacker offers great itinerary tips and advice for budget backpacking, and I took a lot of this advice with me. But it wouldn't be very original if I re-iterated what they said, so here are some of my lessons from the road:
  1. Pack light- you will be carrying your luggage around with you everywhere, so make it easier for yourself.
  2. Focus on a smaller area – it is more manageable and you can spend more time touring.
  3. Draw/ print out maps for where you will be staying (I found myself lost many times!). 
  4. Book big, important sites and attractions early and try to plan around them- popular attractions can be sold out, so book your tickets early, and don’t overlook any “skip the line” passes!
  5. Never underestimate the power of breaks- sometimes a short break is all you need to feel rejuvenated and ready to get back to exploring. I found this especially useful when travelling with a friend.
  6. Don’t forget about travel time- first time travelers (myself included) forget to consider the travel process, which cuts into your touring time
Do you have any lessons that you learned while traveling? Feel free to share them in the comments! 

1 comment:

  1. These are very helpful tips especially about printing a map, there's nothing worse than getting lost and having no internet to look up Google maps. There is nothing more depressing than travelling to a place only to get there and realize the main attraction is fully booked. I lived in Europe for 4 years, the culture, the people the landmarks all worth it! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete