Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Stay safe, avoid pickpockets

This post is not meant to scare or turn anyone away from travelling. It’s meant to inform and help you have an enjoyable, safe trip. I have to be honest, I was terrified about being pick-pocketed before leaving, but I had no issues on my trip.  
Typical sign placed in a tourist spot warning of pickpockets

Unfortunately, pickpockets are a hazard in nearly all tourist destinations. Pickpockets can be anywhere, but here are some higher risk signs for being pick-pocketed:
  • People who ask for money
  • Crowded areas
  • Obviously standing out (check out these tips for blending in)
  • Open markets

Pickpockets also use many techniques, with the most common technique being distraction.

The best advice I can offer is to always pay attention to your surroundings, walk with purpose and keep your belongings close to you. Some ways to do this are:
  • Use a fake wallet/attach your wallet to a chain
  • Wear a money belt
  • On public transit, keep your back to a wall and your belongings where you can see them
  • Be wary of distractions
  • If someone bumps into you, check your pockets immediately
  • Spread your money around (e.g. some in pockets, some in wallet), don’t take all of your money with you
  • Don’t flash valuables around unnecessarily

I kept my money in my wallet, which was attached to a chain in my front pocket, and I also kept money in an inside pocket in my backpack.


Just remember, exercise caution like you would in any big city, know what scams to look out for, walk with confidence and use common sense. Do you have any pick-pocket experiences or tips? Feel free to share them in the comments! 

Below is a documentary of pickpockets in Naples. It's a little long, but if you have the time, I highly recommend watching it.


5 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Michael. A friend of mine was pick-pocketed when we were in London, it's amazing how quick and skilled some of them can be!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine was had her wallet stolen in Europe once but ended up finding her ID and cards on the ground after so she got lucky. Whenever I travel I worry about pickpocketers so thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son had his passport stolen on a trip to NYC and never kept it on his person when he travelled again. Another good tip, is he has his cell in a leather case and he slips money in the case with the phone too as a safety measure. Great tips in your blog Michael. thanks for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,

    Great blog post - it provides valuable information. I will keep it in mind when I travel to any big cities and make sure I keep my wallet in a safe place! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now, when travelers bump into each other, the only thing they talk about revolves around the number of states, villages and countries they’ve been to. Don’t you agree?

    hostels in Manali
    hostel in Manali

    ReplyDelete