Thursday, February 6, 2014

Choosing the right backpack

Backpacks that are too big 
can be a burden
The most important tool you will be taking with you while travelling is your backpack. Choosing a backpack can be an overwhelming endeavour.

  • Comfortable enough for you to carry 20-30 lbs
  • Proportional to your body size
  • Shop around: visit stores and try the backpacks on
  • Expensive is not always best. $100-$250 is a reasonable price range
  • Highly recommended: buy a pack that you won’t have to check-in at the airport
  • Backpack capacity is measured in litres. I suggest anything in the 40-55L range. Maybe 60L, but anything over (in my opinion) is just too big


Panel-loading backpack

Features to look for in your backpack:

  • Panel loading
  • Internal frame
  • Padded hip belt
  • Padded shoulder straps
  • Chest straps (helps bring weight of load forward by connecting the two shoulder straps at your chest)
  • Contoured/padded back (key to making it comfortable to carry)
  • Detachable day pack (great for touring. Also very effective when worn on your front to distribute the weight. It may look silly, but trust me, it works)
Osprey makes great backpacks. I purchased the OspreyFarpoint 55 and loved it. I’m definitely going to be using it on more of my travels.


Osprey Farpoint 55, with Detachable Day Pack
Next week, I will be focusing on how to pack for a backpacking adventure.  

3 comments:

  1. This is great advice! I look forward to getting more tips. I wish this blog existed before I went backpacking the first time after University! I didn't have the technique down - at all. Can't wait to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your backpack has to be your best friend so you absolutely right, maximize space, roll clothing, pack light and tight and enjoy yourself. the idea is not to kill you shoulders and back while having fun

    ReplyDelete