Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ease the Stress of Packing: Pack Light, Pack Smart

We’ve all been there. You’re a day or two away from departure, and you realize you haven’t started to pack. Even worse: you’re not even sure where to begin or what to pack. Packing personas play a huge role when it’s time to fill up the luggage. I’ll admit it; I’m an over-packer, so packing for this trip was a real challenge.

There is a saying that goes something like this: “pack everything you think you will need, and get rid of half of it.” These are wise words that all should keep in mind when preparing for a trip.

Of course, the time of year you go will determine what you pack, but the length of your trip shouldn't affect how much you pack. As a rule of thumb, pack enough for a week, and wash clothes on the road as needed.

Suggested distribution of weight for a backpack
Some tips:
  • Minimize bulk and weight
  • Pack the essentials- if you’re questioning an item, chances are you don’t  need it  
  • Weigh your backpack – a pack over 22 lbs is probably too heavy
  • Roll clothes to fit more into your pack
  • Choose dark colours so stains won’t be very visible
  • Try to stick to two or three colours so all clothes match
  • Put dryer sheets in your luggage- they help keep it smelling fresh 
  • Invest in travel accessories like travel towels, packing cubes, backpack locks, collapsible water bottles, and any other accessories that make packing easier



Need a packing list? Click here for one.

What is one item you can't travel without? Feel free to share it in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Michael, I found your post incredibly informative.
    I've always been a terrible packer. One of those just throw everything in, and sit on your pack to zip it up kinda people.
    So I definitely will take your advice to heart next time I go on a trip anywhere!
    As for something I can't travel without, man It's so bad because its not an essential, but books. I need my books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd read this blog before I went backpacking around Europe. I was fairly organized but my pack was way too heavy and I ended up donating a lot of stuff to fellow travelers after about two days of walking around with it. I'll never forget meeting a girl who bought three different hairdryers because she didn't realize you could buy an adapter for the plug on the end of the dryer and was carrying them all around. I also encountered Americans who had sewn Canadian flags on their backpacks. Too funny! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Americans that said were Canadians too! except, they didn't know any specifics about the country.. anyhow. Michael I want to travel the whole world, and my dream is to have enough money to buy clothes at each place so I can look like a "local" rather than carry a backpack.. however, while PR becomes my super successful career, I will follow your advice. Also, I love how matching clothes is on the lsit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So happy you decided on doing your blog on backpacking in Europe. This post is also very informative - I am the absolute worst packer and tend to always pack way more than I need. I also never thought to put a dryer sheet in between stuff to keep everything fresh (good tip). Until I get the chance to actually travel the world, I will have to live through your blog!! Oh, I also really like how you have a poll along the side of your blog. (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The joys of packing. Michael, I really enjoyed this post. I love to travel, but suffer from over packing. I don't know if I'd ever be able to just have one backpack. The idea of leaving something at home or not having the right thing is just terrifying. This post was full of useful tips that I will definitely use on my next adventure. I love the idea of dryer sheets and rolling my clothes so I can fit more. It really sounds like you had an amazing trip, thanks for sharing all your memories and tips with us.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit that I am usually the person on the trip who packs way too much. However I have been working on downsizing on the amount of things I take on trips after recognizing that I never use half the things I pack. It's awesome that you provided a list to make packing even easier. It's also helpful for me to bring that list along so I remember what to bring home with me after a trip or vacation! Great post!

    ReplyDelete