Friday, February 28, 2014

Hostels- A must for any backpacker

If you’re backpacking, I’m going to assume you’re focused on budget travelling, which means you will be (for the most part) staying in hostels. If you’re apprehensive about this, I’m here to try and convince you otherwise.

Staying in hostels is a great way to save money and meet tons of other like-minded backpackers. I’m not going to lie, I was extremely nervous about staying in them. I’m not a big party person, I’m a neat freak, and I need my own space, so you can see why I would have been nervous. But by the end of my trip I loved staying in hostels, and some of my fondest memories are of meeting new people. I did stay in some small 3 star hotels, but they lacked the social environment of a hostel.  
Common area at a hostel

Hostels are great because they are:
  • Cheaper than hotels (most of the time)
  • Social
  • Targeted to backpackers/ budget travelers

Dormitory style hostel room
Guests are able to rent a bed in a dormitory style room. Common areas and bathrooms are usually shared, and rooms can be mixed or single-sex. However, if this sounds like a nightmare to you, don’t worry. Many hostels do have private rooms, although these are usually more expensive.

Shared rooms can range anywhere from 4-24 or more beds. The majority of my stays were in a 4 to 6 bed dorm, which was ideal.

Next week I will post about looking for a hostel and hostel living.   


*Disclaimer: my experience is based off of hostels in Europe, so I cannot speak to the hostel culture in other parts of the world.  

8 comments:

  1. I was like you when I first stayed in a hostel: worried about cleanliness, parties and privacy. I stayed in a few different hostels in Sydney, Australia. In the first couple of hostels, I stayed in multi-bed rooms. My discomfort level never went away, though. During that part of my trip, I was travelling alone, so I didn't have anyone to fall back on to help ease my level of anxiety in a group environment. So, when I went to Bondi Beach, I opted for a private room - somewhere I could escape to when my new 'friends' became too much to handle. But I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post.
    I've always felt skeptical about staying at hostels too, especially when I hear stories from regular travelers.
    This is something I will keep in mind and consider for my upcoming euro trip. It sounds like the unique experience and savings are worth it.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post! I was recently on a trip in Ottawa and was able to tour a hostel there which had previously been a working prison in the 1800's. I found the options for room styles to be very affordable, and the options to share with 2, 4, 6 or no other bunkers was an added bonus to the low price. This is now something I would consider if traveling or backpacking in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends who stayed in hostels all through Europe...I am skeptical as well...but as long as you do your research before you go, you'd be fine! A room with 23 other beds...eeesssh...
    I've heard Canadian hostels are disgusting.
    Thanks for the info, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never stayed at a Hostel.. every time I think of Hostel I think of those horrible Eli Roth movies and I'm convinced that would happen to me if I ever bunked in one. One of my closest friends travels a lot and stays either in hostels or on people's couches (people she just met).. seems to have worked for her though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael this was an interesting post. Although I have personally never stayed in a hostel I have many friends who have and the majority have enjoyed their experience. Seeing your photos and how well kept the hostels you stayed in seem to be, makes me think that if given the opportunity I would give the hostel stay a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stayed in hostels while backpacking through Europe as well and agree that they are a great place to meet new people while travelling. I was surprised by how nice some of them are for the price they charge. I will definitely be staying in hostels again on my next trip to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was an excellent and informative read.
    If I ever find myself in Europe I'll be sure to check out the hostiles before the hotels.

    ReplyDelete